But the UNLV visit might not make the impact some think it would. Tavale hasn't spoken with Cyclone coaches since his trip to Las Vegas, but makes no secret as to what his feelings are.
"Iowa State is definitely in the picture for me, but I don't know if I'm in the picture for Iowa State," said Tavale, referring to the 20 commitments they have now compiled. "They told me the spots are filling up quickly.
"I need to call the coaches and see how things are going. I hadn't spoken with them lately, because I just got back from UNLV. I'm hoping to get in touch with Coach Allen or Coach McCarney. We're going to talk over some stuff, and if it's still there then that's where I'm at."
In addition to offers from the Cyclones and UNLV, Tavale has also entertained ones from Big 10 programs Minnesota and Illinois. He says that a weekend visit to Illinois could be a backup plan if something falls through.
"I'm actually very close to making a decision," he said. "I'm waiting until Tuesday night when my parents come in. We're going to sit down and make a decision. I want to make a decision as soon as possible. There is still possibly another visit coming up from Illinois, just in case things don't go down well and I lose some scholarships."